Thursday, February 18, 2010

Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants -- Michael Pollan

I've been hearing a lot lately about eating habits. I was forwarded a video about a speech from chef Jamie Oliver about the children's obesity crisis and that had a link to a video of a speech from Dean Ornish on the World's Killer Diet. At the same time, I've been tracking my calorie consumption in order to get it under better control, using Lose It! as well as tracking my eating habits on my SWEET Life Plan to make sure I'm eating a variety of food groups.


Just a couple days of tracking my calories has taught me two things: First, they add up fast! Second, all those little nibbles here and there are very difficult to track, but add up to a lot of extra calories! I think that anyone who starts tracking calories first ditches the little nibbles, mostly because they are difficult to track and count the calories. It's much easier to calculate the calories in 1/2 cup yogurt than in a bite of this and a bite of that. At the same time, studies show that people who track their calories are far more successful at weight loss than those who don't.

Tracking my eating on my SWEET Life Plan helps me make sure to eat enough from all the food groups. If I want an afternoon snack, I check my SWEET Life Plan to help me decide what to eat. "Well, I haven't eaten much fruit today; I'll have an apple for a snack." 

In the end, what am I trying to say? Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants. --Michael Pollan
This link is the most important one posted here. Check out the article, then answer this question: Is this how you eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment